How to Make Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Savory Pancakes)
Banh Xeo is a popular Vietnamese street food that is enjoyed as a light and crispy savory pancake filled with meat, vegetables, and herbs. Here’s a recipe for making Banh Xeo from scratch.
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 pound of pork belly or shrimp (or both)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups of bean sprouts
- 1 bunch of green onions, sliced
- 1 bunch of fresh herbs (such as basil, mint, and cilantro)
- Nuoc Cham dipping sauce (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together rice flour, cornstarch, turmeric powder, and salt. Slowly add in water and coconut milk while whisking the mixture until smooth. Let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook pork belly or shrimp (or both) until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté onion until translucent, then add bean sprouts and green onions. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan or crepe pan over medium-high heat. Add a little bit of oil to the pan and pour in 1/3 cup of the batter. Quickly swirl the batter to cover the bottom of the pan. Add a few pieces of cooked meat and vegetable filling to one side of the pancake.
- Let the pancake cook for 2-3 minutes until the edges start to crisp up. Fold the pancake in half and remove from heat.
- Serve the Banh Xeo hot with fresh herbs and Nuoc Cham dipping sauce (optional).
Enjoy your delicious homemade Banh Xeo!